qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Over de Maçonnieke Beleving (Beschouwingen van Vrijmetselaren)

Over de Maçonnieke Beleving (Beschouwingen van Vrijmetselaren) - J.W.R. Everse,  J. Zeijlemaker,  Bertus van Lier,  Th. Zandstra,  A.J. Vis,  A.L.S. Bär,  E. Lomans Jr. This little book is an insightful though perhaps slightly superficial look into what it means to be a freemason (in the Netherlands of 1970). The various authors present their own views "on the maçonic experience", from the vantage point of ethics, cultural criticism, mysticism, etc.

For on outsider like myself if presents a clear view of the basic tenets of this religious and philosophical current, many of which I can agree with personally. I was less charmed by the seemingly systematic ignorance of women, and the emphasis on the concept of a masculine brotherhood, something which holds little appeal for me.

It would also have been nice to learn a bit more about the processes of initiation and the daily lodge activities, but understandably this is probably reserved for initiates. To reveal too much would undermine the mystic appeal of being part of a select fraternity.