qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Everfree

Everfree - Nick Sagan Everfree is a satisfying but underwhelming conclusion to Sagan's overall very enjoyable trilogy. For some reason, the novel lacked the clear and enticing vision of the first part, as well as the touching and at times heart-wrenching character sketches from the second.

Basically, it's a wrap-up, speculating on how humanity might slowly rebuild from cryostasis, after being practically decimated by an epidemic. Sagan's picture is cynical, but not overly so, tending toward what I would consider a healthy scepticism about human nature.

It's just too bad for the story that this preoccupation with the rebuilding of societies and the consequences of that seem to push the more emotionally satisfying interactions between the characters from Edenborn too much into the background. And honestly, for me, that was where Sagan's main strength as a writer lay.