qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Framandkar: Dikt (Hardcover)

Framandkar: Dikt (Hardcover) - Tarald Stein An interesting modern - and somewhat short - collection of Norwegian poetry in Nynorsk. Stein is a transgender poet, and this is also the main theme throughout the collection. The greater part of the poems deals with the problems and ambiguities of being transgender.

As such, the generally well-written and accessible free verse gives an interesting and sometimes touching and intimate glimpse into the world of this poet, and perhaps of transgender love and identity in general. However, as 'just' a straight guy, while I am able to understand it, it is more difficult to truly identify with it.

Perhaps this collection is most interesting for people who are struggling with sexual identity themselves, and less for outsiders, because Framandkar tackles few more universal themes.