qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Language (Hardcover)

Language (Hardcover) - Leonard Bloomfield This book is 75 years old, yet reading it today, I can't help but feel that this would be a better introductory book for Linguistics students than the ones we use currently.

Bloomfield, over the course of a little over 500 pages covers almost every area of language imaginable, and he does so in a clear, understandable style, with a plethora of examples. It's an accessible book for any with an education, yet it is hardly shallow. In every area Bloomfield trears, it is clear he has a thorough knowledge.

Of course, the book lacks many of the developments that linguistics has made in since the 1930s, but reading through this work, I'm surprised by how few these new developments actually are.

It seems the linguistic 'revolutions' of the 20th century have brought us not that much further in understanding language than Bloomfield was back then.