qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Vanishing Voices: The Extinction of the World's Languages

Vanishing Voices: The Extinction of the World's Languages - Daniel Nettle, Suzanne Romaine A well written and informative book that adresses one of the more underappreciated problems of the world of today: Language Death. At least 50% and according to some as much as 90% of the world's ca. 6.000 languages are in danger of dying out during the 21st century.

The book sheds clear light on the scale of this cultural disaster, mention many factors that have caused this process, including colonisation and globalisation: the 'biological and economic waves'. The authors also stress the ties between linguistic and ecological diversity - a view that is not uncontested, however.

All the same, any book that raises awareness of this problem in an eloquent manner is valuable, in my opinion, and 'Vanishing Voices' certainly fits that category. Recommended!