qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Cult Films: Taboo and Transgression

Cult Films: Taboo and Transgression: A Select Survey Over 9 Decades - Allan Havis Cult Films is a short, superficial overview of some of the more interesting cult films from the past century. The author takes three movies from each decade since the 1920s, and gives a brief explanation of why these flicks are still interesting for film lovers.

Sadly, at least half the contents of this already short book are wasted on generic description of the decade zeitgeist and plot summary of the films themselves. This leaves hardly any room for a decent analysis of the films themselves, which I'd expected to find more of in a supposedly scientific publication.

As it stands, Cult Films is little more than a checklist of 'to-sees', though probably an adequate one. The movies from that I've already seen that are featured in the book (a.o. Blade Runner, Blue Velvet) include some of my favourites, so I've got high hopes for the ones I haven't.