qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space - Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan Sagan has been an inspirational figure to for quite a few years, but there are a couple of books by him that I hadn’t gotten around to yet. Pale Blue Dot is another commendable popular science book, where he explores issues surrounding space travel and colonisation. The treatment of subject matter such as lunar and martian exploration and settlement, manipulation of asteroids, etc. is accessible and clear, as well as well-argumented. It really challenges the reader to take a long-term view of the ecosystem on Earth, possible changes in climate (man-induced or not) that may prove fatal to our species, and the possibility of extra-terrestrial expansion to ensure the future of mankind, without looking away from the dangers involved in that grand quest.

< http://www.eveningoflight.nl/subspecie/2012/01/04/2011-inspirational-reading/ >