qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Sprookjes, vertellingen en sagen uit Lapland (Hardcover)

Sprookjes, vertellingen en sagen uit Lapland (Hardcover) - Just Qvigstad, Frederik de Graaf, Nancy de Graaf A good and accurate translation of selected Saami folk and fairytales into Dutch. There are many relevant personal notes by the translators, and an accessible introduction to Saami culture and history. The stories are little modified from the Scandinavian originals, and no attempts were made to polish the stories, so the they are likely reasonably close to the (19th century) oral tradition. Throughout, the stories are illustrated with relevant images taken from various extant magic drums, which greatly enhances the atmosphere of the book, but also gives a nice selection of these images themselves, which are greatly interesting in their own right. I liked their presentation: big, and in clear, rounded lines of brown ink.

All in all, a good collection geared mostly toward the informed folklore hobbyist.