qwallath

Qwallath

Hi, I'm Oscar, a historical linguist from the Netherlands who also likes to write about music, games, and history. Check out my longer blog posts and other writings on Sub Specie.

Purity and Danger: An Analysis of Concepts of Pollution and Taboo
Mary Douglas
Signs: an Introduction to Semiotics
Thomas A. Sebeok, Marcel Danesi
Language and Space
Lynn Nadel, Mary A. Peterson, Paul Bloom

Brave New World (Modern Classics)

Brave New World (Modern Classics) - Aldous Huxley One of the classics of utopian/dystopian fiction, of course, a deserving of the status. Many apt analyses of the novel have been written before, so I will not go into too much detail. Suffice to say that Brave New World ask many relevant questions about the efficacy and moral implications of extensive control of individuals by collectives. Whereas in Orwell‘s Nineteen Eighty-Four control of the masses was mainly achieved by linguistics and journalistic means, the people in Brave New World are manipulated by subliminal indoctrination during youth, and by indulgence in entertainment, drugs, and sex in adulthood. Essentially, the question posed these novels, and related ones like Zamyatin‘s We (also read in 2011) and Rand‘s Anthem, is whether a degree of collective control is warranted at all, and if so, in what form. As in most things, I personally believe in a balance and middle road regarding this issue, but novels like this one help challenge all kinds of assumptions and ideas.